Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One Team. One Family.

     Any athlete, former athlete, or team player understands what it means to be on a team.  When you first meet you're all strangers and slowly, as practices and games become more intense and exciting, you become closer and closer.  In some cases, like at overnight camps, you are forced together so suddenly that becoming friends is only natural.  When it happens like that friendships can grow within days.
     Having been on many teams in high school and middle school I can say it is not always this way especially if you aren't living with your team or if you are different ages.  In my case, playing a sport in college is much more different than playing in high school.  Being here before school starts for pre-season with only the team to be around really brought s closer and made us become the best of friends almost immediately.  Different teams also have different dynamics, I would say that our field hockey team has a great dynamic, we never have drama within the team and we all get along really well.
     It is interesting to be on an athletic team at Skidmore, since it is a liberal arts school there are many people who have never played a sport in their life, but there are also people who play tons of sports.  The field hockey team is seen as exclusive and that we are only friends with each other.  This is not the case, we just became friends before anyone else was here and going to practice everyday with the same group of people really brings you together.  The public sphere here at Skidmore is kind of like the artsy kids vs. the athletes.  Well not really versus each other.... I'm not sure how to word it but there aren't many people who do both art and athletics, well actually there are! So I don't know why it seems so separated.
     So to finish out my blog postings, I would like to dedicate this blog to my field hockey team.  I love you guys! And thanks to all my readers (classmates) and I really enjoyed writing this blog, I wish I had the perseverance to keep it up and running.  But who knows, I may get really bored this summer :)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment